Thursday, August 23, 2007

Guaranteed Uncertainty

• Stop spending all your energy making plans for God, and start seeking God.
• Faith is embracing uncertainty.

I have a great imagination. I can come up with story lines in my head that would connect my present life to the dreams I have for the future. I can connect what I want to what I have. The stories are great. In my head. But I cannot make them come true on my own. That is when I turn to the Creator of the universe and give him all these hints on how to make my life perfect. He is the Creator; how can I not go wrong with telling Him how my life should be. Does anyone else see the wrong logic in this?

I am so finite. My mind can only grasp my past and the moment I live in right now. I cannot see tomorrow or the next day or five years from now. Why do I have the audacity to tell God how my life should play out? Truthfully sometimes it is fun to tell God how I think my life should be. He gave me a great imagination, but I don’t always stop at the end of my day-dreaming and ask Him what His plans are for me. And a step beyond that, I don’t always stick around after the “I want this God” conversation to just spend time with Him.

I wonder what would happen if I exerted my energy in fully seeking Him for who He is. Would my faith be stronger? Would my trust be deeper? Would I be more and more like Him, reflecting Christ in every day of my life? Would I know Him so much that those little doubts and lies that the enemy likes to throw around will no longer tease me? Would I understand His power even more that I could say to a mountain, “be removed” and it would? I wonder…

*my thoughts from Chapter 5, In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! This really spoke to me! Love you and miss you tons!

katie