Monday, July 16, 2007

Does it ever end?

So, I have enjoyed living in a home instead of an apartment these past five years. The space is great especially when I had friends over. The noise level was quieter because my neighbors did not live beyond the next wall or above me. The only thing that I drives me crazy is the work that goes into keeping a house up-to-date.

I have never been one for yardwork. I will maintain the yard and keep it clean. I don't let the grass get too high or leave tons of branches in my yard. I am not one to spend hours working on the yard in one day. I have better things to do.

I have this tree in the front yard that has been giving me fits for the past year. We had it trimmed a couple of years ago and I thought that would help but I think it only added to the problem. This tree likes to drop branches. And not just small ones, mind you. Big ones. Especially during storms.

Last Sunday, I came home from church and a branch had broken off and was laying on the roof. At least part of it was. I did not have time on Sunday to take care of it but when I inspected it on Monday, I found out that it was still attached to the tree by a large piece of bark. The weight of the hanging limbs was lessened because part of the branch was resting on the roof, therefore alleviated a large part of the weight that would have pulled the tree down.

Figuring I could take care of the branch myself, I have been trying to get my saw back so I could cut the branch apart. (Don't tell my mother. she hates it when I go on the roof!) But before I could get the branch down, we had those two bad days of storms. I came home Friday after work and the branched was down along with my down spout. I just stood there at the mess asking God, "what next?", because now i have a branch that I have to get rid of and a down spout to fix.

But on the bright side, the branch did not mess up my gutters that I just had replaced that week from the snow storm in February/March and it did not hit my neighbors house. I had one incident with them last summer and I was not looking forward to another one. So thank God all the damage is on my end.

The fun is that I am leaving in three weeks and this was just something I did not want to deal with. Praise God that only materials were injured and no person. This all can be fixed! Oh the joys of managing a house!

No comments: