Thursday, June 26, 2008

Vacation blurs.

June 24th, 2008

I made it to the fair Midwest city of Des Moines. My flights were really good and quick. I even landed early in Des Moines and was able to arrive at my brother’s house in time for dinner. I was lucky to get a window seat on my flight from Minneapolis and Des Moines. As we began our descent into the area, I began to pear anxiously out the window, hoping to see familiar landmarks. It did not take long for the site below me to become known and I excitedly began to point out various sites.

This might sound crazy to some but the sight when I landed was beautiful. To the north I saw the dark grey-blue clouds of a typical thunderstorm while the sight to the south was clear, blue skies with sun streaming down to the earth. But the most magnificent sight was a rainbow that painted the darkness with its spray of color. Now this rainbow did not just peek through the clouds or dot a small section of the sky. No, this rainbow was a full arc stretching from the west to the east, vibrant in its display of colors. I was just in awe. It was beautiful.

The airport personnel was quick in the work for by the time I reached the luggage area, the luggage from our flight was already traveling on the conveyor belt and I quickly found mine. I headed to the car rental to receive the keys to the car, headed out to the parking lot, loaded my suitcase and headed on my way.

I pulled up to my brother’s house, dragged myself to the front door, heard the familiar sound of their dog Gio, and walked in the door. The first thing I heard was a voice chanting, “Auntie Kara is here, Auntie Kara is here.” My nephew was jumping up and down with excitement that I had finally arrived. Then he gave me my hug!

Sunday went by in a blur. I went to my old home church and I never made it into service. I kept getting a few feet before another friend spotted me. It was so good to see everyone and give them hugs and play catch up.

I still have plenty of week left.

No comments: