Sunday, June 29, 2008

Flying home.

The week flew with amazing speed that it seems somewhat unreal that I am already at the airport to return home once again. My week was filled with such activity that my brain is still wrapping itself around all the events of the week. But it was such a great week!

My nephew was so much fun. All he wanted was time with his “Auntie Kara.” I will admit I spoiled him just a tad. Hopefully he won’t drive too many people crazy with talk of his new Hulk toy and not hit too many people with his new green light saber. (I could not stop myself. I had to get him the toys. That is what I am suppose to do, right? I am his aunt.) I also saw my new niece Audrey and my other nephew Braedin. I loved just holding Audrey after seeing so many pictures of her. Lunches with friends and movie nights…it was an awesome week.

There are two things that I will take with me from this trip. One of them I am overwhelmed at its truth and the other one is a confirmation that is still settling deep inside. The first truth is how loved I am by the people I know. I am overwhelmed by the willingness of others to spend time with me and the desire of others who wanted to meet up with me. Truthfully, I love people and hanging out with them. So I have not thought twice about their feelings towards me. I do not see myself as more special than the person next to me so this past week was so amazing as hugs, requests, smiles, joy were expressed towards me. I wish my vacation extended longer than just this week but I am leaving Des Moines feeling so loved and special.

The second thing was the realization that Des Moines is not home anymore. I have lived in Iowa for twenty-eight years of my life and lived over fifteen years in Des Moines. I knew coming back would be a weird experience as familiarity would be around every corner yet something new would also exist. I was not fully expecting the sense of knowing that I was not home to come over me the moment I landed at the airport. This past week was fun as I visited old haunts of mine, eating at restaurants that are no longer available to me, and seeing familiar faces, yet deep inside I knew that I was no longer home. God had prepared my heart, mind, and soul for this transition. When I resigned over a year ago, it was at God’s guidance that I did so. I moved forward in the path that he has designed for me. I realized that no matter where I go in this life, home will always be the place that God has led me. Granted I would not have chosen California as my first choice of home but God’s peace rests deep inside at the truth that He led me there. This place is now my home. Now, the time has come for the major move ahead and whatever lies ahead.

No comments: