Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Differences

The Differences...
I love the reaction I get when people here find out that I am not originally from Modesto, California, or the West Coast. I get an even bigger reaction when they find out that I am from the Midwest, especially Iowa. Surprisingly, I find a few relocated Midwesterners here but most of them are native Californians.

One of the questions I get asked the most is what is the difference between here and home (Iowa will always be home to me!). Let me tell you, there are many differences, some very evident and others are subtle.

One of the biggest differences, the landscape! Here the foilage is sparse with very few leafy trees of the oaks and maples. I see very few evergreens but more palm trees. It is not every day that an Iowan drives his or her way to work along the foothills of two mountain ranges.

Then there are the weather reports. I do not hear much talk about humidity but I hear a few words that are uncommon to the Midwest and may not even be part of an Iowan's vocabulary. Seismic activity and elevation..two words that are not integrated into the nightly news in Des Moines but are definitely a must here.

Snow. In most people's minds, California is the land of eternal sunshine and snow is a bad word here. Another major misconception. This past weekend I heard a word that an average Iowan wants to put off hearing for months yet knows that it is inevitable. SNOW!!! This past weekend the forecast held snow predictions. The difference is here is that snow is more based on elevation than the state. The mountains were getting snow than the valleys.

One thing I miss about Iowa is thunderstorms. I loved waking up in the middle of the night to the low rumble of thunder rolling across the skies. I loved having my room illuminated in quick flashes as lightning burst forth from cloud to cloud. Then after a few moments of the thunder and lightning, I hear the patter of the rain as it hit the roof tiles and the street outside. This past weekend, I woke up in the early morning with the sound of familiar patter, rain hitting the roof outside my window.

The one thing that I have noticed and it bothers me a lot is the commercials that are being aired during prime-time and during regular shows that children can watch. Most of them are sexual in nature, especially about male enhancement. To me it just does not seem correct that such commercials should be aired as common thought without the effect to children. Then on the flip side, they have a commercial being aired about celibacy, children asking their parents to teach them to stay pure until marriage.

Life is different here but each place has its own beauty and promise.

No comments: