Wednesday, June 04, 2008

An interesting day at work.

I am not sure if this problem is as big as it is here, but one problem that businesses have around here are bad $100 bills. Somehow someone has learned how to wash the ink off a $5 bill and the reprint the bill as a $100. I had heard about such bills because several businesses have had trouble with those bills but never saw one or touched one. That all changed this week.

I was helping a customer and I was counting the cash this customer gave me. I noticed that one of the $100 bills seemed darker and the paper did not feel right. So after inspection, I noticed that the thread that ran through the paper was marked as a USA FIVE and the watermark had the profile of Abe Lincoln.

I held in my hand a counterfeit $100 dollar bill. Not a typical thing to happen although that was the second one in a week. Sometimes the bill is so good that it is not caught until the Federal Reserve. It was cool to view it and find the faults with it. I did not know that Ben and Abe were even friends to hang out on the same piece of paper but it is also scary to know that those bills are floating around in the community.

It was an interesting moment in my normal business day.

No comments: