Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Visit.

Something as a visiting a school should be a simple feat. For me, it entails an interesting twist of adventure. Being a born and raised Midwest girl and the largest freeway that I have driven the most is the one that wraps around the metro side of Des Moines, the prospect of navigating my way through LA traffic was not a thought I was very excited about. But to pursue the journey that is before me now included such a journey down the cement pathway of opportunity.

I woke up yesterday morning all prepared to gather my things, pack the car, and a file folder full of maps and directions. I walked downstairs to get a drink. A quick glance out the window brought a damper to the excited emotions churning in me for what I saw would be an obstacle; I saw fog. Not just a few clouds here and there or a misty veil that draped itself along the land to provide a translucent view of the world. No this fog is the heavy, cottony blanket that makes the world disappear within a few feet. And yet, with determination and a prayer of protection, I packed my car and ventured out.

The drive down to Los Angeles was not bad considering the fog that hugged the land and blotted out the sun that tried so desperately to light the land. With its steely, gray color, I would have thought I was viewing a Midwestern winter day rather than the sunny day of the land of eternal sunshine.

Navigating myself between various freeways and cars, I finally arrived to my destination. Well, sort of. As I mentioned before, any road trip for me always entails a certain aspect of adventure. (Just ask my friend Marla.) Mainly I get lost. But thanks to the inherited gene of navigation from my father and the ingenious invention called a map, I always seem to find my way back again. Such an adventure happened on this trip as well.

I know that I was watching the exits carefully, looking for the number or street that I was suppose to take, but I swear to you, I never saw it. Following the road to its very end, I turned onto a street that I did not know and continued to follow it, wondering if I would find a street that I should now. Not knowing if I was heading north, south, east or west, I just kept turning around to repeat the path I was traveling. With a bit of navigation and a quick look at a map, I found my way to Fuller Theological Seminary with a half an hour to spare before the night's events.

I found the Guest House where I was staying for the night. My check-in experience was unique. I was given a room which I did not request and was quoted a price much higher than previous stated. After a bit of discussion I was given a new room at a lower cost. So I went to my room, opened the door and went inside to settle in for a few minutes. I went into the bedroom only to discover that someone else was already assigned the room. I spotted handwritten notes for assignments, a pile of books and a closet full of clothes. Luckily no one was in the room at that moment but I hurried out there quickly, just in case the occupant came while I was there. I went back down to the check-in, explained the situation and was given a key to the original room that I was assigned. As I was leaving, the occupant of the room I hastily vacated was behind me because his key would no longer work. (I am not making this up!)But I got all settled into my room, leaving me five minutes to freshen up and get to registration.

The visitation night was good and I got a chance just to be on campus. I did not get to see much of it since night had already fallen but I got a good sense of being there. The city itself is very beautiful and active. I felt quite at home in the area and had a great sense of peace being at the school. Now, I await the final steps of application and the final word of acceptance which will not come for another couple of months. Then a more definite direction can be established.

No comments: