Thursday, September 27, 2007

I am spoiled.

Today, I do not have to work. I do not start my bank job until next week and I am not scheduled to work at the bookstore until tomorrow night. So, today is all mine. I have think I have been productive with my day but then that is totally in my opinion.

One of my duties today was going to the grocery store (I miss Hy-Vee and Super Wal-Mart!) Just down the road, the city has built a new grocery store, a local name called Raley's. In comparison to an Iowa store, Raley's are close to a Dahl's. I needed to pick up some items for a dessert that I am making for my parents this weekend and I had run out of Dr. Pepper. (I know some of you are laughing at me right now. My addiction has yet to be conquered.)

Anyway, I am walking through the grocery store looking for my items and this thought went through my head. We Americans are so spoiled and selfish. I am looking at all this food on the shelves and freezers, and I am amazed at how much is there. I began to wonder what happens if the food does not sell, especially the produce and dairy products. I wonder how much food we throw away daily because it has not been bought and then my thoughts went to how many children and families in other countries live without so much as a piece of bread or fruit to eat a day.

Maybe this thought has come from the fact that I have had to watch my pennies lately as I have not had a job and bills coming through. Maybe it connected with the fact that at my bookstore job, I helped to box up several boxes of books that were being sent back to the distributor because those books were not being sold. Suddenly it all seems so wasteful in light of eternity.

This thought also brought about a bigger sense of gratefulness and thankfulness that God has provided shelter, health, food and clothing for me. I am blessed beyond measure compared to many who live daily without so much as a safe shelter to live, food to sustain normal functions, clothing to protect them from the elements, and health.

Hopefully I will continue to live in this sense of gratefulness.

No comments: